Tuesday 17 September 2013

TOP DRAWER A/W13

House Doctor at Top Drawer
On Sunday I had my first trade show experience at Top Drawer AW13. Top Drawer is the 'UK's leading event for design-led gifts, lifestyle and fashion accessories'. I have to say this was a slightly surreal experience for me. I'm obviously used to browsing interior shops with the intention to buy for me, but there I was finding myself imagining what it might be like for an interiors / lifestyle buyer and buying with a nose for what sells (the mind boggling world of margins and numbers). Being there as a blogger rather than a buyer was far more liberating as I was simply on the hunt for items / up and coming brands and products I quite simply adored. Letting my own taste lead the way,
here are my new discoveries...
OK so I know they are toilet brushes and it's worrying I'm excited by toilet brushes but aren't they the most beautiful toilet brushes you've seen? I was like honey to the bee in the iris hantverk stand, from Sweden. The products are mostly wooden and concrete, impressively
handmade mostly by visually impaired people.
According the Angela Lundblad, the lovely lady I chatted to, they stock in Selfridges and John Lewis (apparently the toilet brushes are selling like hot cakes). I also clocked that some of their products are sold on Caroline McGrath's website too. Take a look here
Iris Hantverk also do dish cloths with pegs on! It was meant to be.
Adorable wrapping paper and illustrative cards by Pen On Paper, founded by Lucy Kirk and Millie Popovic in 2013 (proper little start-up) because of their 'mutual love of illustrated lidos, partially dressed swimmers and hay barns'. I was telling the duo how much I'd love their chevron wrapping paper (top) as a wallpaper.
Clock by Liquid Design made with corrugated cardboard + scrap wood. 
Resourceful design at its best.
I wanted one of these to house shoes in our hallway. 
Monochrome woven baskets by The Braided Rug Company.
Sewing machine, bicycle and camper van inspired tea towels, all illustrated by the 
super friendly Poppy Treffry from Cornwall. She stitches the illustrations by hand originally and then scans them for tea towels and prints.
Nkuku was top of my list at Top Drawer. My friends are from Devon (where Nkuku are now based) so recommended their website well over a year ago now. Inspired by the traditional skills of artisans in Africa and India, I adore their worn / well travelled aesthetic so was excited to see their products close up. I wasn't disappointed. From reclaimed trestle stools to mango wood bowls and reclaimed glass domes, they have eco-design nailed for autumn / winter. I have my eye on their zinc and brass hanging mirrors for the bedroom.
Nkuku ceramics
House Doctor
House Doctor light
The largest part of the post has to be dedicated to House Doctor (supplier from Denmark). Arguably the largest stand at Top Drawer (I think I was in their dedicated area for over half an hour crushing over everything). I am almost thankful it was a trade show as I could have bought the lot. I'll let the photos speak for themself...
House Doctor
I typically don't like patterned boxes but these printed pretties are an exception.
House Doctor
House Doctor speckled ceramics.
House Doctor
House Doctor light
House Doctor
House Doctor woodland inspired cushion

Sadly House Doctor don't sell directly to consumer but there are a number of great suppliers in the UK including Rockett St George, Cox and Cox, Idyll Home and Bodie and Fou

No comments:

Post a Comment