Tuesday 18 June 2013

GHOST SHADES

I've noticed bare black shades emerging as an interesting aesthetic in paired back interiors this spring. Most notably when I walked into Anthropologie on the King's Road (London) last month and spotted their Pulled Smoke Lamp (bottom left below) looking magnificent on a central display table. Sadly my heart sank when I turned over the giant swing tag - a cool £1248. Punchy. Humoring myself with a mental calculation of how I could afford it was quickly dispelled with this welcome catharsis... why not just make my own? How hard can it really be? Admittedly my glass blowing skills won't stretch to the base but the naked frame of the lampshade was surely possible?
Top left: Bloomingville AW13 bare light pendants
Top right: Bare lights photographed by Kristin Sjaarda Photography
Bottom left: Pulled Smoke Lamp from Anthropologie. £1248.
Bottom right: Design House Stockholm Cord Mini Table Lamp from Heals Now £117.95 (perfect base for my bare lamp shade?)

It seems I'm not alone as there are heaps of great DIY tutorials for creating what has been dubbed as the 'ghost shade'. Interestingly the shape and shade of your bare frame lends itself to a whole host of interiors tastes; with girly anglophiles opting for the curved 'granny chic' lampshade frame (painted in all manner of chalky pastels) whilst the industrial-philes appear to be seeking out structural clean-lines lampshade frames (upcycled in a lick of charcoal or moody noir)

In prep for finding an old charity shop lampshade to strip back (I'm on the scavenge if you have any tips?) here I've rounded up some inspirational homemade naked shades and some tutorials to log...




(can you believe she made this out of a basket which was storing her daughter's toys?)
2. Black curved DIY light I spotted on At Home In Love
3. Designer Ana Kras (from NYC) hand weaves yarn around bare lampshade frames.
4. 'Industrial Cool' lampshade by Apprentice Extrovert.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it. Australian Native Spices

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete